HEAD OF DEPARTMENT
The administrative affairs of the Department is managed by the Head of Department. This position is currently occupied by Dr. Theophillus Adjei-Kumi. Theophillus joined the Department of Building Technology in 1998 as a Lecturer at both the Undergraduate and Post-graduate Levels. He obtained his Bachelor of Science in Building Technology at Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana. He furthered his education at University of Strathclyde Glasgow, Scotland in MSc Construction Management and then PhD Civil Engineering (Construction Management) in the same Institution. He is currently the Coordinator for Postgraduate studies and Head of Department.
Member: Ghana Institute of Construction
Member: Project IN Controlled Environments 2
Member: Project Management Institute
Member: Project Management Professional
Member: Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering
Member: Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Member: International Federation of Surveyors
Member: Ghana Institution of Surveyors
- Measurement of Construction Works
- Building Management
- Materials Resource Management
- Project Administration and Computer Applications
- Project Cost Management
- Construction Procurement and Commerce
- Construction Estimating and Price Analysis
- Construction Planning and Scheduling
- Procurement of Works
- Project Resource Management
- Plant Management and Principles of Accounting
- Principles of Management
- Productivity Measurement and Financial Management
- Introduction to Procurement Management
- Construction Documents and Contracts
RESEARCH INTEREST AND ACTIVITIES
- Project Management
- Project Procurement
- Contract Administration and Project Supervision
- Preparation of Tender and Contract Documents and Evaluation of Bids
- Construction Cost Estimation and Control
- IT in Construction and Training of Industry Professionals
- Adobor C., Osei-Tutu E., Hohoabu K., and Adjei-Kumi T., (2013), “Publication of Monthly Construction Cost Indices for the Construction Industry of Ghana”, ISSN:0855-508
PEER-REVIEWED JOURNAL PAPERS
- Kpamma, Z.E., Adjei-Kumi, T., Ayarkwa, J., and Adinyira, E. (2015). “An Exploration of the CBA Decision System as a User Engagement Tool in Participatory Design.” Architectural Engineering and Design Management (Accepted for publication).
- Mensah I., Adjei-Kumi T., and Nani G., (2015). “Duration determination for Rural Roads Using the Principal Component Analysis and Artificial Neural Network.” Journal of Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management (Accepted for publication).
- Ameyaw C., Adjei-Kumi T., and De-Graft O.M., (2015). “Exploring Value for Money (VFM) Assessment Methods of Public-Private Partnership Projects in Ghana: A Theoretical Framework.” Journal of Financial Management of Property and Construction. Vol. 20 No.3, 2015 pp 268-285, Emerald Group Publishing Limited, 1366-4387, DOI 10.1108/JFMPC-01-2015-003.
- Kpamma, Z.E., Adinyira, E., Ayarkwa, J., and Adjei-Kumi, T. (2015). “Application of the CBA Decision System to Manage User Preferences in Design Process.” Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice. 06/2015; DOI: 10.1061/ (ASCE) EI.1943-5541.0000258.
- Kissi, E., Adjei-Kumi, T., and Badu, E. (2015). “Towards the Development of Tender Price Index for Effective Cost Planning in the Ghanaian Construction Industry.” International Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 4(3), 73-79.
- Kissi E., Adjei-Kumi T. and Badu E. (2015). “Exploring Cost Planning Practices Adopted by Ghanaian Construction Professionals.” International Journal of Project Organisation and Management (Accepted for publication).
- Buertey, J. I., Mizzah A. K. and Adjei-Kumi, T. (2014). “Delays to Large Construction Projects in Ghana: A Risk Overview.” Journal of Civil Engineering and Architecture, 8 (3): 367-377 ISSN: 1934 7359.
- Douh S., Adjei-Kumi, T., Adinyira E., and Baiden B., (2014). “Criteria and Measurable Indicators for Assessing the Performance of Public Works Contract Award Process in Chad.” International Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol. 3 No. 2, pp. 57-64. doi: 10.5923/j.ijcem.20140302.03
- Buertey, J. I. T., Inga, E., and Adjei-Kumi, T. (2013). “The Financial Impact of Risk Factors Affecting Project Cost Contingency: Evidential Reasoning Method”. Journal of Engineering, Project, and Production Management, 3(2), 65-73
- Agyekum, K., Ayarkwa, J. and Adjei-Kumi, T. (2013). “Minimizing materials wastage in construction-A Lean Construction Approach”. Journal of Engineering and Applied Science, 5 (1): 25-146
- Buertey, J. T.I, Abeere-Inga, E. and Adjei Kumi, T. (2012). “Construction Cost Contingency Estimating in Ghana: A Review of Work Sections Prone to Scope Changes.” International Journal of Management, Vol. 3, Issue 1, pp. 237-253. ISSN 0976 – 6367(Print), ISSN 0976 – 6375
- Buertey, J. T.I, Abeere-Inga, E. and Adjei Kumi, T. (2012). “Practical Application of Risk Management Techniques in Infrastructural Delivery: A Case Study of the Ghanaian Construction Industry.” Journal of Construction Project Management and Innovation, Vol 2, No. 1, ISSN 2223 7852
- Buertey, J. T.I, Abeere-Inga, E. and Adjei Kumi, T. (2012). “Estimation Cost Contingency for Construction Projects: The Impact of Systemic and Project Specific Risk”. Journal of Construction Project Management and Innovation, Vol 2, No. 1, ISSN 2223 7852
- Buertey, J. T.I, Abeere-Inga, E. and Adjei Kumi, T. (2012). “Successful Delivery of Infrastructural Projects: Epistemic Overview of Cost Risk and Uncertainties.” Journal of Civil Engineering and Architecture, ISSN 1934-7359 Feb. 2012, Vol. 6, No. 2 (Serial No. 51), pp. 121–131, USA
- Buertey, J. T.I, Abeere-Inga, E., Adjei Kumi, T. (2012). “Project Cost contingency estimation in Ghana, an integrated Approach. Science.” Journal of Civil Engineering and Architecture, ISSN, 227-6332
- Ahadzie, D.K., Kissi, E. and Adjei-Kumi, T. (2012) “The Status of Project Management Practices in the Ghanaian Construction Industry” International Journal of Project Planning and Finance Vol. 3, Number 1, pp.123-135
- Buertey J., I., T, and Adjei Kumi, T. (2012) Cash flow forecasting in the Construction Industry: The Case of Ghana. Pentvars Business Journal, Vol 6, No. 1. pp 65-81
- Buertey J. I. T., Amoa, P., and Adjei-Kumi, T. (2011) “Construction cash flow Prediction Model in Ghana: A Case Study of the District Assembly Common Funded Projects”. Pentvars Business Journal, Vol 5, No. 2, pp 87-102
- Kpamma, Z. E., Adjei-Kumi, T. (2011). “Management of Waste in the Building Design Process: The Ghanaian Consultants' Perspective.” Architectural Engineering and Design Management 7(2)102-112. DOI:10.1080/17452007.2011.582333
- Nani, G., Adjei-Kumi, T. and Badu, E. (2009). “Proposed Procedure for Developing Standard Method of Measurement”. The Ghanaian Surveyor
- Owusu, M.D., Badu, E. and Adjei-Kumi, T. (2008). “Short Essay on Empirical Finance Research: Current Trends and a Call for Future Studies”. PentVars Business Journal, PUC. Vol. 4 No.4. pp. 71-87, ISSN: 0855-9163
- Nani, G., Edwards, P.J., Adjei-Kumi, T., Badu, E. and Amoah, P. (2008), “Customisation and Desirable Characteristics of a Standard Method of Measurement for Building Works in Ghana”. The Australian Journal of Construction Economics & Building, Vol. 8, No. 2. pp. 30-40.
- Nani, G., Adjei-Kumi, T. and Badu, E. (2008), “Classifying Construction Works for the Purpose of Measurement”, The Ghana Surveyor, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp.41-51
- Osei-Tutu E and Adjei-Kumi T, (2001) Cost Trends of Residential Housing Provision in Urban Areas in Ghana from 1991 to 2001. Journal of Ghana Institution of Surveyors (The Ghanaian Surveyor), pages 1 – 11.
- Osei-Tutu E, and Adjei-Kumi T., (2000). “A Rational Procedure for the Selection of Appropriate Procurement Systems in Ghana”. Journal of Applied Science and Technology, Vol. 5 Nos 1&2, pp. 168 – 176.
PEER-REVIEWED CONFERENCE PAPERS
- Kissi, E., Adjei-Kumi, T., and Badu, E., (2016). “Tender Price Index Development: A Critical Literature Review of Models for Prediction”. 9th cidb Postgraduate Conference on Emerging Trends in Construction Organisational Practices and Project Management Knowledge Areas Cape Town, South Africa, Feburary,1-4 pp.71-81 ISBN - 978-0-620-69590-9
- Kpamma, Z.E., Adjei-Kumi, T., Ayarkwa, J., and Adinyira, E. (2015). “Development of A User-Involvement Framework for Design Process: An Exploration of the Design Science Research Paradigm Procs 4th International Conference on Infrastructure Development in Africa, 25-26 March 2015, Kumasi, Ghana
- Kissi E., Adjei-Kumi, T. and Badu E. (2015). “Critical Barriers to the Practice of Effective Cost Planning in the Ghanaian Construction Industry”, In Sherif M. and Kriengsak P., 6thInternational Conference on Engineering, Project, and Production Management in Gold Coast, Australia, September 2-4, pp 291-302
- Agbesi, K., Adjei-Kumi, T. and Fugar, F.D.K (2015) “Organisational Adoption of Sustainable Procurement in the Construction Industry: Development of a Conceptual Model”. 12th International Postgraduate Research Conference (IPGRC15), June,10-12, pp.744-756, ISBN 978-1-907842-72-6
- Mensah, I., Adjei-Kumi, T. and Nani, G. (2015) “Forecasting the Duration for Small Span Bridge Construction Projects Using Artificial Neural Network”, In Laryea, S. and Leiringer R. (Eds) Procs 6th West Africa Built Environment Research (WABER) Conference, 10-12 pp 550-570, August 2015, Accra, Ghana, 555-570
- Kissi, E. E., Boateng, B. E., and Adjei-Kumi, T. (2015). “Strategies for Implementing Value Management in the Construction Industry in Ghana”. DII Conference on Infrastructure Development and Investment Strategies for Africa, Livingstone, Zambia September 16-18 pp.255-267, ISBN 978-0-86970-787-6
- Kpamma, Z.E., Adjei-Kumi, T., Ayarkwa, J., and Adinyira, E. (2014).” Creating, Sustaining and Optimizing the Collaborative Realm for Participatory Design, Proc., 22nd Annual Conference of the International Group for Lean Construction (IGLC-22), Oslo, Norway.
- Kpamma, Z.E., Adjei-Kumi, T., Ayarkwa, J., and Adinyira, E. (2014). “Enhancing User-Involvement Through a Multi-Criteria Decision Aid: A Lean Design Research Agenda, Proc.,22nd Annual Conference of the International Group for Lean Construction (IGLC-22), Oslo, Norway.
- Douh, S., Adiniyira, E. and Adjei-Kumi, T. (2014). “A Conceptual Framework for Assessing the Effectiveness of Public Works Procurement Process at Pre-Contract Stage in Chad Republic”, In Ejohwomu, O and Oshodi, O (Eds) Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Infrastructure Development in Africa, March 17-19, Abeokuta, Nigeria (CIOB endorsed), p. 385-397. ISBN: 978-978-938-173-9
- Kpamma, Z. E., and Adjei-Kumi, T. (2013). “Construction Permits and Flow of Projects Within the Sunyani Municipality, Ghana”. Proceedings, 21st Annual Conference of the International Group for Lean Construction (IGLC- 21), Fortaleza, Brazil.
- M.D. Owusu, Prof E. Badu, and Adjei-Kumi T. (2007).” Towards Bridging the “Financing Gap” in Construction Firms in Ghana with Special Reference to Capital Equipment Acquisition Finance, Construction Management and Economics: Past, Present and Future”, CME25 Conference, 16th – 18th July University of Reading, UK
- G. Nani, A. Mills, Adjei-Kumi,T. E. Badu, and P. Amoah (2007). “Notes on the Method of Measurement: Special Methods adopted in Ghana for Measurement using SMM5 and SMM6 and Recommendations for SMM7”, Annual Seminar by the Quantity Surveying Division of the Ghana Institution of Surveyors (GhIS), held from 3rd – 4th October, at the La Palm Beach Hotel, Ghana
- G. Nani, A. Mills, and Adjei-Kumi, T. (2007). ‘Misconceptions about the Use of the Standard Method of Measurement (SMM) in Developing Countries: A Ghanaian Perspective, Construction Management and Economics: Past, Present and Future”, CME25 Conference, 16th – 18th July, University of Reading, UK
- G. Nani, Adjei-Kumi, T. and P. Amoah, (2007) Research in the Built Environment: Which Philosophy? International Symposium towards the Formation of Theory for the Built Environment, Digital World Centre, 18th – 19th June Salford, Quaye, UK,
- G. Nani, Adjei-Kumi, T. (2007). “The Challenges of Quantifying Construction Works for Project Control in Ghana”, CIB World Building Conference held in South Africa on the theme ‘Construction for Development’, Proceedings pp.3134 – 3145
- E. Adinyira, S. Oteng-Seifah, and Adjei-KumiT. (2007). “Sustainability Assessment of Rural Development: A Review of Methodologies”, IAMO Forum “Sustainable Rural Development: What is the Role of Agri-food Sector?”, 27 – 29 June, Halle (Saale), Germany
- Owusu,M.D., Badu, E., Edwards, D.J, and Adjei-Kumi, T. (2007), “Finance for Non-Financial Construction Managers: Empirical Analysis of Financial Variables that Influence Acquisition Decision-Making Process”. In: Boyd, D (Ed) Procs 23rdARCOM Annual Conference, 3 -5 September 2007, University of Ulster, Belfast UK. Association of Researchers in Construction Management, Vol.2, pp 567-576
- Owusu,M.D., Edwards, D.J, Badu, E., and Adjei-Kumi, T. (2007), “Methodological Issues Related to Firms Financing Research”. In: Fadare Wale and Abiodun Adesanya (Eds) Procs International Conference on Sustainable Built & Natural Environment, 17 -19 January, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria. Faculty of Environmental Design & Management, Vol.1 pp 91-101
- Adjei-KumiT. and A. Retik, (1997) “A Library-based 4D Visualization of Construction Projects”, International Conference on Graphic Visualization, South Bank University, 27th - 29th August.
- Adjei-Kumi, T. A. Retik and A. Shapira, (1996). “Integration of Site-related Tasks into the Planning and Scheduling of Construction Projects”, International Symposium for the Organization and Management of Construction, CIB W65, Held in Glasgow, August.
- Design of pc-based model bill of quantities for AGBL.
- Erection of 10,000 and 20,000 gallon pressed steel tanks for GWCL, Kumasi.
- Renovation of Teacher Training Colleges in the Northern regions of Ghana.
- Documentation of all government-funded projects in the upper east and west regions.
- Provision of complete consultancy services for the provision of 23 no. Hand-dug wells for various communities in the Eastern, Central and Ashanti regions for Kuapa Kokoo Farmers’ Trust, Kumasi
- Provision of complete consultancy services for the provision of 13 no. Hand-dug wells for various communities in the Eastern, Central, Western and Ashanti regions for Kuapa Kokoo Farmers’ Trust, Kumasi.
- Development of a unit cost database system for the Community Water and Sanitation Agency (CWSA)
- Design and construction supervision of theatre complex for St. Martin’s Hospital at Agroyesum, Ashanti.
- Design and construction supervision of various infrastructure projects for Asante Akyem South District Assembly, Juaso, Ashanti.
Theophillus Adjei-Kumi BSc MSc PhD MGhIS MPMI MPMP MAACE MChIArb
Department of Building Technology
College of Art and Built Environment
Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi-Ghana
Telephone : 233-24-4536995
Fax – 03220 28758
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
P. O. Box UP 1048